As part of our ‘Mamma Mia!’ topic we are learning about the European country of Italy and linking it to our work on William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. We used the interactive room to take a flight to Italy and then we spent some time looking around Rome and Verona, taking in the sights.
For Wold Book Day 2020 we read The Legend of Captain Crow’s Teeth by Eoin Colfer. We themed our lessons around this for the day by complete pirate coordinate work, writing a diary entry as a character from the story, composing our own sea shanty ‘What Shall We Do With The Grumpy Pirate?’ and making our pirate art works using marbelling inks for the sea and different collage piece for our pirate ship. We also came dressed up as our favourite book characters. Can you tell who we are?
As part of our computing topic we are learning about cryptography. We looked at using semaphore and Morse code. Here you can see us having a go with semaphore flags. We decided that this was quite a difficult method of communication.
As part of our science topic ‘All Change’ we looked at the chemical change when we add a solid to a liquid. We decided which ones gave us the best reaction and added those to our rocket to launch. Unfortunately the weather stopped us from going outside but we did find it amusing when our rockets hit the ceiling in the classroom.
In our topic on Marvellous Mixtures we have been learning about separating, dissolving, evaporating and distilling. We put all our knowledge to use today when we tried to purify rock salt. We first added water to the rock salt mixture. We stirred it to help the salt dissolve quicker. Then we put if through filter paper. In the beaker we had a salt water solution and in the paper we had sand. The we heated the solution so the water would evaporate and we would be left with the pure salt.
In our topic ‘Sewing Bee’ we produced a product from scratch. First we investigated different prototypes to see how we would make our phone case. Then we designed them. Next we had to cut the felt to a pattern. The we blanket stitched the sides. After that we made our design out of felt and attached using strong glue.